Monday, August 13, 2012


Sunrise at Oban before departure


Time to travel to a new destination, the Catlins and Mohua Lodge.  You can follow the ferry ride and drive to the
 Catlins with the pictures below.  
Supplies back to mainland as well as over $100,000 of live crayfish which will arrive in Shanghie the next day.

The ferry runs 365 days a year, two return (round trip) trips daily. 
Passengers are a bonus to the money they make on hauling frieght to and from Stewart Island.
                                                                    

The captain cut the engines abruptly to announce there were whales in sight.
 Everyone was excited to see them as they had been almost fished to extinction, so this is a sign of recovery. 
This is a Southern Right Whale and her calf.

Beginning the drive to the Catlins, blue skies, green grass, and sheep are everywhere.
Here, a mobile electric fence is put between the fence and the road and sheep are put in place
as an all natural  mowing operation. 
Great use of a natural resource!



Just like in the Lord of the Rings!

Sheep and cattle grazing side by side.

Curio Bay was breathtaking!  My luck held and I was there at low tide.  This is a National Park
 area that protects the petrified forest you can see in the picture. 

Curio Bay

Petrified trees showing at low tide.

Curio Bay side tidal flow

Another view of the petrified forest.

Curio Bay: beautiful from all angles!

Close up of a petrified forest stump


At every turn, more beautiful scenery.  This is view of Curio Bay further down the road.

Hike to Matai Falls.  The red trees are Ficus Trees., only place in the world.

Beautiful forest on hike



Scramble to the top to see the falls.

Matai Falls


And more incredible views.  Tautuku Bay from Florence Hill Lookout.



View from my cottage at Mohua Lodge to the west

View to the north from the front porch
View to the east
Sunset from cottage.

8 comments:

  1. What an incredibly beautiful place! I might just add it to my bucket list! It sounds like you're having a wonderful trip, experiencing so much. We enjoy following your posts and learning from them.
    Kathleen (Ava's mom)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SHOULD put it on your bucket list, it is awesome! Hope the Wood family will join me to see all the pictures when I return (if Ava has time now she is in HS!)

      Delete
  2. Your experiences are well documented! Enjoying each day vicariously.
    Wishing you continued good time and good weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have been very lucky with weather. I missed the rain and flooding by a day and the volcano fall out went in a direction I was not heading. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  3. Those sites are breathtaking! Matai Falls, Curio Bay, the whales...all breathtaking. I think that this is my favorite thing to look at on your trip so far, I mean wow...that is a site to see.

    ~Erin Siedlecki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, this was my favorite part of the trip and I am glad the pictures are wonderful representations of all that I did and saw. I have more pictures that I will share in class :-)

      Delete