Monday, August 6, 2012

Rangitoto: the Hike and Succesion of Ecosystem

Black volcanic rock

The hike was posted to be "fairly easy" and take about "an hour".  I do not think they factored in someone doing this on the day they arrived into NZ at 6 a.m after 24 hours of travel.  But, I took the hour time as a challenge.  When we docked, the first very noticeable sight that we are on volcanic rock is the "blackness" (if there is such a word) of the terrain where plants are not growing.  I started down the road to find the "hour long" trail head.  For the first 2 -3 minutes, it could have been a walk in any park or forest with a well defined sandy path with lush growth on each side.                                                                                                                                                                               As I rounded a slight curve, I saw my first lava field.  This is what the entire island would have looked like after the eruption 600 years ago.  The hot lava cooled on the top first and since lava was still flowing underneath the solidified lava, it caused the lava to crumble into fields of ankle twisting rock.
As years passed and weathering eroded the lava rock into fertile soil, plants began to take root. Plants could be seeded by birds, wind, and natural succession.  Some of the plants on Rangitoto defy normal habitats.  For example, mangroves in the rest of the world live in coastal water ecosystems.  Here they can survive on the rocky terrain by sending their roots down to find water. The DOC paths are crushed lava rock.  It is literally impossible to walk on the natural lava fields.  And, in the summer with high temperatures and more direct sun, the hike is incredibly hot due to the rocks absorption of solar energy.  I am glad it was in the 60's for my hike.  As you can see in the pictures, the vegetation is encroaching on the lava fields.  The roots of the established vegetation break down more rocks, allowing for the growth to expand.
      





 
View of Auckland from the top of Rangitoto


View to the North

Proof that I was there and did not get pictures off the Internet!

 
Southern Black Backed Gull

View of downtown Auckland that greeted me upon return to the B and B.








15 comments:

  1. This is so cool,especially during all the attention on the Olympics! The photos are spectacular! I hope that you have a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More adventures to come, stay tuned. Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. You weren't really there... you just photoshopped yourself into that picture :-) Looks incredible, can't wait to follow your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Volcano erupted last night on my first night here. I had originally planned on hiking Tongarriro, but not anymore! I am certain I can find something else to do, like soak in hot mineral springs...tough substitute. Love hearing from you and just fyi, I talked about John and you and your adventures today. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 600 years seems like a very young island in the big scheme of things and yet there is already significant flora and fauna. And your picture of the volcanic field leading to the water with the main island(s) in the distance is impressive. I wonder if you'll be visiting even younger or older volcanic fields and islands during this trip?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lucy, you are correct, this is a very, very young island. Most of the volcanic activity that shaped NZ was millions of years ago. Although, I reserve comment on White Island (active volcano with sulphur spewing and ground trembling) until I take the tour as I am not certain how old that one is. With the seismic activity levels in the area and the eruption of Tongarriro last night, I hope I can still tour White Island!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom, everything looks and sounds amazing!! I didn't realize just how much I had to catch up on by missing the first two days! Lesson learned to read daily! Can't wait to read more about your Kiwi adventures! Glad to have learned about the new way to give directions... just a bit over there.

    And glad you are fine after the volcano erupted... guess you stir up trouble wherever you go ;-)

    Keep it coming with the amazing photographs and stories, so incredible and so amazing to read and learn about!

    Love,
    Emily Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not heard from you in a long while, you still following?

      Delete
  7. The blog does not have a LIKE button, but if it did, I would like your comments. Keep following...more to come including baby penguins, awwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It looks so beautiful there, and it sounds as if you are getting your exercise, huh? I loved hearing about the lava and how the mangroves differ.
    Take care,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Rangitoto is only 600 years old? How big is it?

    Although, very interesting about the mangroves. I thought that their roots needed to be in water, but I guess not...
    ~Ava

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel awful about not reading your blog sooner. The adventures you have been on are amazing! This post was one of my favorites. The pictures of the hike look beautiful. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your posts Mallory. This is truly a beautiful place to visit and I am certain we will be talking about it in class this coming year.

      Delete
  11. That is very interesting about how the rocks were formed! Do any animals live near the "rocks"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many animals can live on this island as there is no regular supply of fresh water. There are birds that visit for feeding, and a few nest there. The DOC has eradicated the invasive rats and stouts so the birds will hopefully increase in numbers.

      Delete