Thursday, August 23, 2012



 “Maungatautari is an exciting place to visit – with 47kms of predator proof fence enclosing 3400 hectares in a sea of pastureland, it is the largest ecological island on mainland New Zealand.                                 With the eradication of mammalian predators largely complete, native bird populations are being re-introduced and trees and ferns are able to grow uninhibited.   This provides for a surprising new environment as the balance of species develops.                                  We invite you to experience the "last place on earth..."” http://netlist.co.nz/communities/MaungaTrust/Index.cfm                                            Where did the time go?  I am sitting in the Auckland International Airport Lounge getting ready to write about my last experience of my journey.   Even though it may be one of my last blog entries, my journey is far from over as I begin to share my experiences with students and those who are interested.                          The last full day in Rotorua called for rain with heavy downpours, with a higher percentage chance in the afternoon.  Therefore, I left right after breakfast to drive the 100 kilometers to a conservation area called Maungatautari.    The drive was uneventful (thankfully) but I did feel as though I was driving into the middle of nowhere.   When I finally reached the end of the road, the visitors area was deserted, not a soul to be found anywhere.  Fortunately there were large signs with the rules and regulations clearly posted along with a map of the trails.  The one warning that I could not heed was “Be certain someone knows that you are here, and that they know the trails you will be hiking.”   Even though I had some concern about entering this huge area alone, I knew that I had one more adventure on my list before leaving New Zealand.  So, I headed to the locked entrance feeling a little bit uneasy that I could be the only person on the entire preserve, with no one knowing that I am there.                                                     
The secure fence.  Note how steep it is as it encompasses the mounain.
       
The fencing alone is a masterpiece. The entire area is enclosed so that non-native/invasive species of the four legged type are kept out of the area.  New Zealand did not have any native mammalian predators before man introduced them, so this preserve has been established to ensure the survival of native birds that did not adapt survival methods to four legged predators.   The fence has been constructed so that an extension is buried underground to prohibit animals from burrowing into the preserve.  There is an electric fence that runs along the top so that any breach is quickly monitored and volunteers can respond with an hour to repair damage or check for any intruders.  The gate system for people to enter is a double gate where you press a button to open the first door, it closes before you can walk to the second door to enter the grounds.  All visitors are cautioned and asked to check any packs for stowaways, such as mice.     
The double locking people entrance gate.
                      
 After the fence was completed, volunteers were successful in the eradication of rats, possums, hares, rabbits, feral cats, deer, goats, and all other four legged animals that would be harmful to the native birds and wildlife.  The area has had a small re-infestation of rabbits which is currently under control.  Mice have not been completely eradicated so they have revised their plan from a total eradication to a controlled population.  Before certain species of birds can be re-introduced, the predators must be eliminated or controlled.                                                   The methods used to eradicate the pests include trapping as well as aerial dropping of poison bait packets.  They also use specialized dogs that sniff out predators so volunteers can place traps or bait in appropriate areas.  Pet dogs are not allowed in the area as they can chase, injure, or kill resident birds such as the kiwi.  The Maungatautari Project survives with the support of hundreds of volunteers that not only work on the continuation of pest eradication, but also monitor and repair the fence, as well as work on the re-introduction of native birds and trees.                            Once inside, I decided to hike the Southern Rata Track.  This would take me to the Canopy Observation Tower, the Aviary, and the “Clearing”.  The track was well laid out, but extremely steep.   I reached the platform as it started raining and so I quickly climbed to the top to see the canopy and observe birds at the top.  I then hiked to the aviary, but it did not have any bird residents at the time as no birds were being acclimatized to be released into the wild.   I decided to check out the “clearing”, which is an area used for bird feeding platforms.  Ornithologists have found that by providing a limited amount of food for re-introduced species, it assists in keeping the birds from leaving the area to find food outside the preserve.                                                     When I walked into the clearing, the birds scattered.  I quickly grabbed a seat and set up my camera, hoping the birds would come back.   
Obviously, named "Silver Eyes"


Black Bird


Silver eyes, black birds, and robins made a quick re-entry.  Then, off in the distance, I could see something peering at me from the back of a tree.  The Kaka moved cautiously toward the feeder, eyeing me the whole time.  Another followed and they began chattering.  I tried imitating their call and must have been fairly accurate because I soon had six Kakas flying around the feeding stations and I was smack dab in the middle of their flight pattern.  They are not bashful so as long as I remained fairly still, they were comfortable.   
Kaka checking me out.

They even seemed to like posing for some of the pictures, showing their ‘cheeky” personalities.   I was mesmerized by the antics of the Kakas and luckily captured many pictures of these amazing birds.  I would have stayed much longer, but the light rain turned into a heavy downpour and the feeding stations are obviously in a “clearing” so I grabbed my rain jacket and faithful back pack to begin the steep trek back to the car park.  Amazingly, once back under the canopy of the trees, the trees acted like a natural umbrella and the downpour was blocked by the overhead canopy.                                        My time in the preserve, alone on almost 3,400 hectares was a wonderful time to reflect on all the wonderful adventures in New Zealand.  The rainy drive back to Rotorua was bittersweet as this was ending my incredible journey to the “Land of the Long White Cloud”. 
A fern frond unfurling.                                          

Lush ferns and floor growth everywhere
 
Perspective on size of ferns!  I was still alone.  Thanks to timed shutter release
and a granola bar to rest camera lens on for proper alignment.
Feeding station visitors before being run off by the Kaka

More Pictures of the "Cheeky Kaka"...


20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birds are amazing so colorful and elegant! And why are the ferns sooo big?


    -Jake Caracciolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake, that particular type of fern does well in an area with temperatures that do not freeze and where they have plenty of rain. The North Island of NZ is classified as sub-tropical in most areas, although, this fern was growing in the central region that receives lots of rain. And, yes, the birds are fantastic!

      Delete
  3. You got some great pictures of the birds! It really does seem like the birds are posing for your pictures. My favorite is the picture of the kaka checking you out. They must have really fertile soil there to have the ferns grow so big.
    Josh Van Doornik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josh, yes, that Kaka really did seem to be checking me out! The soil is very fertile, lots of volcanic activity that has provided wonderful nutrients. The soil is very black and rick, not like our red hard packed clay soil in this area.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I wish birds in America would just fly around humans without scattering...

    And Ms. Moore, thank you so much for the postcard! Tuataras sound like incredible creatures, and Henry especially! I hope to see you soon! (Your idea is rather appealing...) ;)

    ~Ava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gald you liked the "Henry" post card. He looks pretty good for 110 years old! Hope to see you soon so you can see all the many many pictures that I could not put on the blog!

      Delete
  5. Those birds are incredible! The kakas really were posing for you! Also, what you said to Josh about the volcanic activity giving the soil lots of nutrients was really interesting, I would have never have thought that that was the reason for the large ferns. I have never heard of a place like this where they take out all of the non-native four-legged animals out, that is really cool!

    ~Erin Siedlecki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, in New Zealand, they have many areas where they are eradicating the non-native four legged species. They are way ahead of us in trying to preserve natural areas. We will be working on a project this year on how one could be done locally.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad people are taking a lot of security measures to keep birds safe. They deserve a good home. I also loved all the pictures of the kaka. From the photos they look like greyish parrots. Do they happen to be related in any way?
    -Angela Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, the Kaka is a type of parrot. Very colorful (more on the underside that you can see when they fly), and very smart! When they eat out of your hands, they are very gentle and not afraid.

      Delete
  7. Hi Mrs.Moore! I have been reading all of your entries and I'm a bit sad that this is your last:( but, while reading your blog I have learned a lot and I can't wait for the school year to begin! The Land of the Kiwi is simply astounding and so are all of its wildlife and creatures! It is amazing how close you were to all of those birds and I adore the "Cheeky Kaka"! Hoping you had a great trip!
    ~ Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, thank you for following and I look forward to sharing more pictures and adventures during Science this year! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the blog and learned by reading it!

      Delete
  8. It looks like you had an amazing time in New Zeland! I'm sure that being able to see those birds close up, and know that you were the only one to see them, was an amazing experience! And wow, those ferns were huge! It must have been so cool to see them! The landscape and animals are so different in New Zeland then here, I'm excited to be able to learn more when school starts!
    ~ Katie Schneider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it was such a great adventure and I want to go back! What a great field trip that would be, haha! Look forward to sharing more during the school year.

      Delete
  9. Your journey to New Zealand sounds like a trip of a lifetime! Experiencing all of New Zealand's native wildlife close up must of been some-what unusal with the Kaka posing for you and having the ferns be twice almost as tall as you! In addition, you seem to have been pretty brave to go into huge consevation area without anyone knowing you were there or where you would be hiking! Personally, I would have been scared to death! I can't wait to learn more about it when school starts!
    ~ Caroline McGonegal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following and posting, Caroline. It was THE trip of a lifetime, but I hope to return some day to hike the volcano that erupted while I was there so I could not hike it (Tongarirro). I have so many more pictures to share :-)

      Delete
  10. It looks like your trip was really exiting! The birds are amazing and its so cool that you were able to come so close! Is there a place in Virginia that helps birds like these? Are they all endangered species? Also, I had no idea bunnies were considered predators! Can they actually attack the birds in harmful manners or do they just get in the way?
    ~ Madison McCabe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madison, I am not aware of a place in Virginia that is set up as a preserve. But, we will be working to see what can be done locally. And, I have located information on the European Bunny that is causing ecosystems to collapse here in the US. We will talk about that also!

      Delete