Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Speaking engagement - AOS

In planning my journey to NZ, I googled people who may be associated with birding groups, the ornithological society, or colleges with bird studies.  I received several replies, including one from Mel Galbraith who is the leader of the Auckland Ornithological Society.  He invited me to be their guest speaker at the monthly meeting.  Barbara, a high school biology teacher, met me and took me to the meeting.  This is a very dedicated group of volunteers who do many service projects, including bird counts, restoration of birding areas, as well as education projects.            The topics that I covered in my 45 minute presentation focused on the Bald Eagle and Peregrine Falcons along with my cooperative study with VCU, the National Audubon Society, Panama schools, and my students on the Prothonotary Warbler.  They were intrigued with video of a release of a rehabilitated Bald Eagle and were amused by workers in downtown Richmond, VA having to swat away adult Peregrine Falcons with a broom on the top of a building so they could build a pen for the chicks.  We discussed how so many of the environmental problems we experience in the US, and in particular the Chesapeake Bay, are universal.          Another of their very active members will be meeting me at the Miranda Shorebird Center later in the trip to tour and work, along with visiting some additional conservation areas and to see Sirrocco, the worlds rarest parrot.

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome! You were a guest speaker? Good grief, I would have been so nervous...
    But what did you say about the Prothonotary Warbler study? That we spent time building birdboxes/platforms?

    Hopefully nothing about the canoe trip...
    ;)
    ~Ava

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ava, showed pics of building bird houses and canoe trip, but no tales were told ;-) I just looked at the group as if they were a group of middle schoolers so not nervous, but, they were quiet while I talked.

    More later,
    Ms. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you did a great job. Some school over there will probably try to hire you before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no offers for a teaching position so far so I am returning to the US on Tuesday. But, there is still time...

      Delete
  4. Mom... SO COOL!!!!! Was your talk video-taped?! I would love to watch it! You are the coolest, nerdiest, most awesomest mom around ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the talk was not taped so I will make you sit and I can do the same talk all over again, just for you (and it only has 71 PP slides!). Oh, and thanks for the "nerdiest" adjective :-)

      Delete