Monday, August 20, 2012

Rotorua Stinks!

  


  
Ozzie, named for Ozzie Osbourne because when he arrived,
 he was very unruly and had a major attitude.
 Every time I say the town name of Rotorua, it reminds me of “Roto-rooter” and is quite appropriate because the town smells like sulfur and stinks.  But, after you adjust to the smell, the town has lots to offer for visitors.             My first activity was to attend a show at Wingspan, which is a center devoted to the rehabilitation of raptors.  The show coincides with the daily training time for the raptors so they include talks on training, rehabilitation, re-introduction into the wild, and the preservation of raptors in NZ.            The day I was in attendance, the trainers were working with Karearea Falcons, more commonly known as the NZ Falcon.  The Karearea Falcon has many traits similar to our Peregrine Falcon and one in particular is that it can fly at speeds over 200 mph and kills its prey through the force of the attack.  The falcons are an endangered species in NZ and methods are in place to re-introduce the falcon to areas where it no longer resides.      
Trained to fly after a decoy with food, it is snapped away from them
so they practice flying to stay in shape.
  
Showing how acrobatic he is, Ozzie  tried to strike the decoy, missed and flew straight up to dive again at speeds of over 200 mph.  And, that is why my pictures are not very good as he was a very fast moving target.
 
In 2005 funding was given by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry towards a program that uses the falcons to control birds that damage grapes and act as pests in vineyards as well as monitoring the birds and establishing a breeding population in the vicinity of the Marlborough wine region.
I suddenly realized that I was in the flight path between the trainer and
the high perch that Ozzie liked.  He swooped over me several times and is such a silent flyer
that I did not hear him until he was right by my head.
  Initially, four falcons were relocated to the vineyards from the surrounding hills. After the release of a further 15 birds, breeding began to occur - the first time it is thought to have happened since land clearance 150 years ago. A major ongoing threat to the birds is electrocution on electricity distribution transformers with a fifth of the birds killed in this manner.         One falcon that was released to a vineyard was from a brood of three eggs that were taken into the center for hatching and re-introduction purposes.  One of the eggs was not viable, one was classified as weak, and the third was the only real possibility of a successful hatching in captivity.   
Checking the adjacent field for a tasty mouse or small bird.  They are
free to fly about for food.
The chick that hatched successfully was prepared for release and was given her freedom at a vineyard to control smaller birds that are vineyard pests.  
Before flight, they puff out feathers to get them properly aligned.

She had a successful introduction and has even been reported to have a “wild boyfriend” so that there is hope she will breed successfully in the wild.                   I had an opportunity to talk to Andrew, who is one of the trainers.  He and I talked about the work with the Peregrine Falcon in downtown Richmond and how Wingspan is interested in how the program works for the protection of the chicks.  We will share information on the programs in place to benefit falcons in both regions.
I put the glove on to feed Ozzie.  You cannot feel them land as they are so very light.   I have had this experience with a Red Tail Hawk at the Greenbrier in West Virginia.  Such amazing creatures to get a close up view.
                  
The next stop in Rotorua was to the local museum.  This is the National Museum for the native Maori as well as an historical facility that used mineral baths to cure all kinds of disease (although not proven to work).   The docent was magnificent and toured our group of three for over two hours.   He provided an in-depth understanding of the importance of the Maori culture, the myths and legends, and current day influences of the native tribe in NZ.    We also were taken on a tour of the basement where mud baths and mineral baths were administered, some with electrical shock therapy.   Everyone knows water and electricity do not mix so not sure I would have trusted those doctors.          

21 comments:

  1. Eek...That's one of those basic science safety rules that they're breaking... Didn't they have to make those safety posters when they were in school?
    ;)
    ~Ava

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes Ava, and you should have seen the expression of the victim, I mean patient, that was staged in the tub with wires running into it. They "claimed" it helped heal arthritis and maybe it did if the patient survived or they decided to lie that they felt better to avoid more treatments.

      Delete
  2. It's so amazing how you are helping to save these beautiful and endangered birds! It makes me sad to think that one of every five birds are killed by electricity!
    ~ Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, we will have to look into falconry in Virginia to see what programs are currently in place. I am aware of two programs, but let's see if we can find more! They are amazing birds.

      Delete
    2. Cool, I've read about peregrine falcons before, but I had never heard about karearea falcons before. It's sad that they're endangered, but it's great that they are being helped.
      Evelyn Smith

      Delete
  3. Wow! I am so jealous. I love raptors and to get to hold one is a dream of mine. The picture with the falcon with its wings out is great! I think I want to come to class with Josh this year to hear more of your adventures!
    Sue Van Doornik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sneak in, I won't tell :-) I am looking into the raptor groups in VA, they have several events each year. They truly are amazing birds but my favorite is the red tailed hawk,so gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Those are beautiful birds. I wish I could see them! I look forward to hearing your experiences with the kiwis when school starts!
    - Anna-Fleur Farnsworth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following Anna-Fleur. There are lots of stories to tell so glad we can share.

      Delete
  5. Wow, its absolutely amazing how these birds can fly at 200 mph and strike their prey. That must of been a great sight to see I wish i could see that!
    ~ Cole Jackson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cole, the trainer had a rope tied to a decoy (as seen in one of the pictures). He would swing it around to get the falcons attention and when the bird would "attack", the trainer would snap it out its reach. That is when the bird would fly straight up to get ready for another attack. He would keep snapping the decoy out of reach so the falcon would get his exercise before finally letting him "capture" the prey. I am very interested in learning more about the falconers in Virginia. It would be great to have one of them come do a presentation!

      Delete
  6. Using mineral baths to cure diseases is an interesting way of curing a disease that I have never heard of before, although it doesn't seem to be very efficient, but I am no doctor, so maybe I am wrong.
    ~ Ethan Choo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethan, it is interesting and Rotorua still has many people visit from all over the world to soak in the thermal mud and mineral baths. I never did read about the proven medicinal benefits so we need to reserach this to see if it actually works. Thanks for following and commenting!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Those birds are truly beautiful! I thought it was interesting that the mineral baths were used to benefit the birds as well. I hope the combination of water and electricity for the mineral baths is successful! I have really enjoyed reading about all your exciting adventures in N.Z! I can't wait to learn more! I hope you return safely!
    ~Katie Peabody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, so glad you have been following. I am safely home and look forward to sharing my adventures with all of you soon :-) enjoy your last week of summer vacation.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like Ozzie is lots of fun! I can't wait to talk all about it once school starts! Hope your enjoying your last days of summer!
    - Emily Morris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, I have been trying to find someone in our area that would do a demonstration for us, but so far, no luck. But, let's keep looking as they are amazing birds and I know we would all enjoy a demo!

      Delete
  9. Man that bird can go fast, but how?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jake,
      Let's look into the features of the falcon to see how it can travel so fast! There are certain physical features that allow this amazing bird to do these incredible feats.

      Delete
  10. It's very amazing that that bird flies at 200 mph. I would have never thought there was a bird that fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing, Nicholas, and to follow one flying is a real hard thing to do. Keeping your eyes on something going that fast that makes quick turns is difficult to follow all the time!

      Delete